Swedish massage was instigated by a Swedish fencing master and physiologist, Per Henrik Ling, who created a system known as the Swedish Movement treatment. The massage was based on techniques he had learned in the Far East, which helped keep his fencing students supple and agile. The use of these techniques developed in the West into what we now know as Swedish Massage.
This focuses on the musculo-skeletal system and uses recognised movements, such as Effleurage, Friction, Petrissage, Tapotement and Percussion, to manipulate the soft tissue of the body to reduce muscle spasm and relieve pain. As well as affecting each of the physiological systems of the body for example cardiovascular, lymphatic, endocrine, etc. Swedish Massage also has the psychological effect of either invigoration or relaxation.
Swedish Massage has been found to have many benefits, including:-
- Reduction in muscle spasm, pain and tension
- Release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers
- Relaxation and therefore reduction in anxiety
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved lymphatic drainage
- Improved mobility
- Reduction of swelling caused by an accumulation of fluid in the tissues
- Balancing the overall flow of natural life energy through the body
- Inducing a feeling of well-being through the comfort of human touch
Prices & Duration
Full Session - 60 Minutes
Back, Neck & Shoulders - 30 Minutes
(Initial treatment will include an additional 15-20 minute consultation session)
Click here to book a treatment online.